In a year of near-constant change, Sarah Lawrence’s determination to provide access and choice in the college application process remains unwavering. Below, you’ll find quick references to what’s new for this application cycle, along with a few things we’ve been doing for years (including a true test optional policy). Thank you for all the work you do to support your students!
What’s new for the 2020-21 application cycle?
- No application fee: This year, we are waiving our application fee to open our doors a little wider to anyone who sees Sarah Lawrence as part of the next chapter of their education. It’s free for all applicants through Common App.
- New writing supplement prompts: We’ve introduced four new optional essay prompts; we’re excited to get to know students and how they see themselves at SLC through these essays of 250-500 words.
- Virtual visits: We have a range of events for students, families, and high school counselors to get to know SLC, including information sessions, virtual tours, admission-specific sessions, web chats, and one-on-one conversations with current students.
What’s staying the same for 2020-21?
- Still test optional: Sarah Lawrence College was an early adopter of a test optional policy, with about a third of our applicants choosing not to submit test scores. Test scores are not mandatory for merit aid consideration.
- Still no CSS profile: In financial aid applications, we do not ask families for a CSS profile, just their FASFA and tax documents.
- Still no extra application for merit aid: Every applicant is considered regardless of whether they submit test scores.
- Still four decision plans: We’re happy to continue offering Early Decision I, Early Action (2020-21 is our third year with EA!), Early Decision II, and Regular Decision.
What’s Sarah Lawrence been up to?
SLC Together: Though classes picked up remotely post-spring break, our community remained vibrantly united. Check out how voice lessons, dance festivals, career services, and special guest speakers went virtual.
Find your area counselor: Admission counselors are getting creative with fall recruitment planning—get in touch with your area counselor with ideas, questions, and invitations.
Sarah Lawrence College Fall 2020 Plan
Guided by the twin priorities of safeguarding the health and wellness of our community and our fundamental commitment to provide an excellent and equitable education, Sarah Lawrence's plans for the fall 2020 semester feature a reduced population of students, faculty, and staff on campus, a mix of in-person and online instruction, and strict adherence to a set of safety protocols. See the full details of our fall 2020 plan
Class of 2023 Statistics
- Applicants: 4,048
- Admit rate: 52%
- First-year students enrolled: 400
- Average class size: 12
- Self-identifying students of colors: 26%
- International students: 13%
- Students receiving financial aid: 75%
Application & Financial Aid at a Glance
- Average financial aid package: $38,000
- Scholarships distributed every year: $32 million
- Average debt on graduation: $19k
- First-Year Admission*
- Early Action: November 1
- Early Decision I: November 1
- Early Decision II: January 2
- Regular Decision: January 15
- Transfer Admission
- Fall Semester Entrance: November 1
- Spring Semester Entrance: March 1
*Financial aid applications are due with the Common App